Applications are hereby invited for admission into Higher Degrees at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) for the academic year 2018/2019. Deadline for application of MSc and Postgraduate diploma programmes was 30th May 2018. Late application for these programmes should be accompanied with evidence of payment of late application fee which is Tanzanian Shillings (TZS) 80,000/= or $ 40 and done latest by 30th September 2018.
PhD and MPhil applications can be submitted anytime accompanied with payment of TZS 50,000/= or $ 20 for foreigners, as application fee. Payments should be made through A/C NO. 0150076769860 CRDB Bank : Swift Code No CORUTZTZXXX.
Application forms can be requested from the undersigned or downloaded from our website at http://www.sua.ac.tz/postgraduate-application-forms. Such dully-filled forms can be returned physically or mailed to the undersigned together with evidence of payment of application fee.
The following are the Postgraduate Diploma, Master and PhD degree programmes tenable at SUA. All Candidates who meets the prescribed minimum qualifications are invited to apply for admission.
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
Hosted by School of Agricultural Economics and Business Studies
Hosted by Solomon Mahlangu College of Science and Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education – One year for Science teachers
MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Hosted by School of Agricultural Economics and Business Studies
- Master of Business Administration - MBA (Agribusiness)
This is a 18-month fulltime programme conducted by course work and an internship leading to examinable Research paper.
- Master of Business Administration - MBA (Agribusiness) - Evening Programme
This is a Part time programme for a period of 24 months. Teaching times are: 5.00 pm to 9.00 pm during week days and 8.30 am to 12.30 pm for Saturdays.
- MSc. Agricultural and Applied Economics
- MSc. Agricultural Economics
Hosted by College of Agriculture
- MSc. Crop Science
- MSc. Agricultural Education & Extension
- MSc. Agricultural Engineering
- MSc. Irrigation Engineering and Management
- MSc. Land Use Planning and Management
- MSc. Post-harvest Technology and Management
- MSc. Soil Science and Land Management
- MSc. Tropical Animal Production
- MSc. Food Science
- MSc. Human Nutrition
- MSc. Food Quality and Safety Assurance
- MSc. Agricultural Statistics
The programme is offerred in collaboration with the Eastern Africa Statistical Training Centre (EASTC). Registered students are hosted by the EASTC in Dar es Salaam.
Hosted by College of Forestry, Wildlife and Tourism
- MSc. Forestry
- MSc. Management of Natural Resources for Sustainable Agriculture
- MSc. Wildlife Management
- MSc. Ecosystems Science and Management
- MSc. Agroforestry
- MSc. Forest Resources Assessment and Management
- MSc. Forest Products and Technology
- MSc. Environmental and Natural Resources Economics
- MSc. Forest Engineering
Hosted by College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
- MSc. Anatomy
- MSc. Applied Cell Biology
- MSc. Comparative Animal Physiology
- MSc. Biochemistry
- MSc. Clinical Chemistry
- MSc. Pharmacology
- MSc. Applied Toxicology
- MSc. Applied Microbiology
- MSc. Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- MSc. Parasitology
- MSc. Public Health and Food Safety
- MSc. Epidemiology
- MSc. Veterinary Pathology
- MSc. Clinical Pathology
- MSc. Veterinary Surgery
- MSc. Applied Veterinary Anesthesiology
- MSc. Animal Reproduction and Biotechnology
- MSc. Natural Products Technology and Value Addition
- MSc. Health of Aquatic Resources
- Master of Preventive Veterinary Medicine
This is a 12-month programme by coursework and a limited research assignment leading to production of an examinable research paper.
- Master of Philosophy
The programme is offered by research only, for two years on a full-time basis leading to a thesis. Areas of specialization are: Virology, Bacteriology, Mycology, Immunology, Entomology, Helminthology, Protozoology, Molecular biology and Pest Management Science.
Hosted by College of Social Sciences and Humanities
PhD DEGREE PROGRAMMES
PhD Programmes by Coursework and Research
PhD by Research only
PhD degree programmes by research only are offered in all Academic units ( School, Colleges and Sokoine National Agricultural Library). Applications for PhD by research only are received throughout the year and studies can commence at any time of the year once admission is granted.
GENERAL MINIMUM ADMISSION QUALIFICATIONS
Applicants must have a bachelor degree from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- A candidate shall either hold a relevant honours bachelor degree of Sokoine University of Agriculture or a qualification from an approved institution of higher learning, deemed to be equivalent to an honours degree of Sokoine University of Agriculture.
- Candidates who hold unclassified degrees (e.g. BVM) should have a credit or a distinction in the subject of intended Master’s degree. Candidates wishing to pursue the Master of Preventive Medicine degree shall be required to have at least credits in any five subjects of the BVM degree or its equivalent.
- Candidates with pass bachelor degree may also be considered for admission if their undergraduate performance in the proposed subject of study was a B Grade average or above and they have satisfied the relevant Academic Units that they have exhibited academic potential through extensive field work, subsequent research experience and/or additional training.
- With the exception of the MPVM and MBA (Agribusiness) which are one year and one and half years degree programmes respectively, all other Master degree programmes are tenable for two years for full time students and three years for part time students. In the case of full time students, the first year is dedicated for coursework, while the second year is for research and dissertation writing.
PhD Degree Programmes
Applicants for PhD programmes should possess honours master degree in the relevant field from SUA or from recognized Universities. Applicants should submit a research concept note along with the application documents. PhD studies by Research only are tenable for two and half to four years and for 3 to 4 years for studies by Research and coursework, respectively. The duration for part time students is a maximum of six years.
In all programmes, female applicants are encouraged to apply.
For further information, please contact
Directorate of Postgraduate studies, Research, Technology Transfer and Consultancy
Sokoine University of Agriculture,
P.O. Box 3151, Chuo Kikuu,
Fax: +255 023 2640013